RE: Online help and the elimination of the printed doc

Subject: RE: Online help and the elimination of the printed doc
From: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:17:13 -0500

IMLE, good online help takes longer to create and maintain than good printed
documentation. If you don't have time to do both, you might not even have
time to do online standalone the way you want to.

Also IMLE, if you can get Corporate to give you the resources to create and
maintain both, certain customers will appreciate it.

That having been said, did I understand correctly that the product itself is
accessed through a Web UI? If so, I strongly recommend using comprehensive,
per-screen help *and* succinct, control-level help, as you propose. Once
again IMLE, each of those venues will attract its own group of customers.

In short: three venues (printed, per-screen, and control-level), each of
which presents similar content in a different format, and each of which
attracts its own audience.

HTH,

Dan Goldstein
(who's wondering which of us is the real "Dan the Tech Writer" from the
SnagIt ads)