Re: CSS Philosophy

Subject: Re: CSS Philosophy
From: Isaac Rabinovitch <isaacr -at- mailsnare -dot- net>
To: techwr-l
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:11:35 -0800

Guy K. Haas wrote:

Wellll, that's mostly just a tweak away from the template provided by my blog host: TypePad. And I really really really really hate using tables for positioning. Need to investigate a better way of setting up the template for the 3-column blog.

I would absolutely not use tables to lay out a conventional 3-column web page. That's precisely the kind of kludgy usage CSS was designed to replace. But there are still problems for which tables are the simplest solution. If you're doing a basic, small, 2x2 grid, what's simpler -- 4 or 5 levels of carefully nested DIVs, or the traditional TABLE-TR-TD?

All in all, the TypePad CSS is pretty impressive. I'll have to give it some serious study -- I'm sure there's a lot to learn here. But they seem to have gotten carried away with re-inventing the wheel. I would suggest caution in using some of their more arcane features.

Incidentally, I notice that you're using the HTML 4 transitional declaration. This is really for legacy documents where it's too much trouble to remove all the deprecated tags. Since you're creating new documents, and you're avoiding old-fashioned HTML, you should really use the strict declaration.

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";>