Re: Tools: Getting off a blacklist?

Subject: Re: Tools: Getting off a blacklist?
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:15:44 +0000

You don't have to send email from your ISP. You can send email from an
external hosting provider instead.

For example, I host a few domains on pair.com. My ISP is my local cable
company, but I don't use their smtp server to send email - I use an smtp
server provided by pair.com. Or you can even set up an smtp server locally, as long as your ISP doesn't block the port.

You can probably use the smtp server provided with the free hosting accounts at 1and1.com (I haven't tried this, but it should work). Hurry though, their offer of 3 years free expires next week.

Sorry Mike,

That won't work either. auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk is ON the list (so probably any other servers they have as well). And who should subscribe to it but the university where I'm doing my distance learning MA!

I think it's probably the subscribers that we should be complaining to. They're the ones paying to keep mail-abuse in business. If we start sending sending them snail mail, or keep telephoning (possibly not realistic for long-distance situations) they may get the message and start asking awkward questions on mail-abuse. You have to try to hit them where it's going to hurt; in this case - the pocket!

[Pricing differential - where's this free offer in the UK/Europe, or is it not for existing users?]

Regards,
Ant