Revision/Control Comment Tracking - Perhaps a missing PDF functionality?

Subject: Revision/Control Comment Tracking - Perhaps a missing PDF functionality?
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, Framers -at- FrameUsers -dot- com, Framers -at- Omsys -dot- Com
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:23:25 -0500

Now, I know that if everyone in your workflow has the full acrobat installation
they can comment in pdfs. Subsequently, comments from various sources can all be
combined into one pdf file. But what if your clients, SMEs, and other reviewers
only have Acrobat Reader?

Seems to me Adobe needs to re-examine the functionality divisions between the
full and reader versions. It would be incredibly powerful to be able to sent out
a pdf document that anybody could open and comment. Perhaps to protect Adobe
revenue, the reader could be set to only allow commenting of pdfs created with
complete Acrobat installations and encrypt the comments so only that original
installation can access them.

In the same vein, although the reader is free and easily distributed/downloaded,
it would be nice to be able to distribute self executing pdf files to the
technologically challenged and IT oppressed of the world. A completely stripped
down reader probably wouldn't add much more than the typical bloat in current
pdfs.

Perhaps just thinking wishfully,

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer