RE: What level of censorship ...

Subject: RE: What level of censorship ...
From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:45:52 -0800 (PST)

I'm not sure we disagree, but I'd say this would be
more like an automanufacturer limiting the car's top
speed to the posted speed limit and requiring proof of
insurance, license, and registration before letting
you drive off.

There are lots of legit. artistic and marketing
reasons one would want to copy and reproduce money.

And, if Adobe does decide to enforce the law, are they
also going to stop me from scanning nude pictures, say
a pic of my baby-daughter ... or is FrameMaker going
to prevent you using "Al Quaida" in text because some
use of that word and associations with that
organization are illegal, etc.?

--- Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com> wrote:

> T. Word Smith pointed out:
>
> > I submit, only sometimes.
> >
> > --- Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com> wrote:
> > > Those are two different issues. The copying of
> > > money is a criminal offence;
>
> You are correct. I should have added "for
> fraudulent purposes." However,
> the larger issue of criminal versus civil offences
> still applies.
>
> It's not Adobe's responsibility to police the lawful
> use of their products,
> so where do they get the authority? This would be
> like an auto manufacturer
> assuming the authority over a driver implicated in a
> hit-and-run (versus
> getting a speeding ticket, which is a Highway
> Traffic Act offence, at least
> in Ontario).
>
> Cheers ... Kim

=====