Re: Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Bonnie Granat <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:57:41 -0500

Bonnie Granat wrote:

Maybe you could ask applicants to take text
from a text file and apply your company's template. Mix up the text a
lot and see if they can create a coherent section.

I got a job once on the basis of a somewhat similar test. I was given a site visit report written by an engineer and asked to edit it. Superficially, there were enough grammatical and stylistic errors that I could have spent the hour red-lining it without getting through the whole thing. Instead, about a minute into that exercise, I realized the document needed a complete rewrite to organize it into something coherent and useful. I struck a red line through the entire document and (because I was in an otherwise empty conference room with no computer), rewrote it longhand on a legal pad. It turned out that this is what the hiring manager had been hoping someone would do. A key, I think, is not revealing the true agenda if you give such a test.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]