Re: Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Examining proficiency of job applicants in FrameMaker
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: <lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:20:45 -0500

lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com wrote:
> cartoon grrl writes:
>
>> Good suggestion. I would add, ask them to explain when they'd use
>> variables instead of conditional text, or when to use text insets
>> (and the problems arising from their use).
>

>> -- "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com> wrote:
>>
>> Ask them to write a two-page section of a manual explaining how to
>> use
>> FrameMaker's conditional text.
>>
> You two have got to be kidding! I guess I won't be applying for this
> job. I know how to create conditional text and variables and just
> about anything else in FM, but I certainly haven't memorized the
> procedures and could not describe them without going to the help
> files. Instead, why not create a couple of FM files, and then ask
the
> candidate to create some conditional text and some variables and
> anything else that will demonstrate her proficiency? Add some errors
> to the text and to the format and have the candidate fix them. You
> will get a pretty good idea of her ability to write, edit, and use
> the tools.

I haven't worked with conditional text for a while, but I know that
when I opened up the dialog box, it would come back to me. My
recollection of Frame's help is that I'd do better asking the cat what
to do than consult the application's help.

If a person knows FrameMaker, he or she should know how to use
conditional text. But perhaps it could be a less sophisticated feature
of Frame that's tested. Maybe you could ask applicants to take text
from a text file and apply your company's template. Mix up the text a
lot and see if they can create a coherent section.

Or give them the assignment of writing a procedure on how to open a
door. I was given that once.

Bonnie Granat
www.granatedit.com