Re: How to deal with incorrect editing

Subject: Re: How to deal with incorrect editing
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:35:54 -0800

"whitedh" <whitedh -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote in message news:223694 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> One cannot communicate in any language if one does not know and use the
> basic tools of that language. After all, Webster's defines "grammar" as the
> system of rules that defines the structure of a language.

I disagree. I've had literally hundreds of product inserts written with
laughably
bad grammar that managed to "communicate" the information necessary to use,
if not enjoy using, the products they documented.

> One reason for the technical communication profession is that engineers,
> developers, and programmers have such a difficult time expressing themselves
> to the public that will hopefully purchase and use their products.

In my experience, most engineers, developers, programmers, managers, etc.,
are quite capable of expressing themselves well enough to produce the kind
of laughable, yet still usable documentation I've described above. The reason
their companies were willing to hire writers was not that their engineers,
developers, programmers, managers, etc., couldn't produce documentation,
but because they had more critical things to do with their time, and because
a *good* writer who could understand the multiple functions of their product
development process well enough could produce better documents in less
time than it would have required for them to do it.

Gene Kim-Eng

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com