Re: re Document Versions

Subject: Re: re Document Versions
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:53:15 -0800 (PST)

Mark,

First, I must say how felicitously written this post is!

The overwhelming majority of software companies I have dealt with recently have taken to creating documentation in Acrobat format--often leaving it to the customer to print those parts they wish. It's kind of silly for them to hold version numbers of the docs in strict conformance with the software.

There *is* a simple-enough route around that. The running header or footer can be set to reflect both the most recent doc release *and* the software release it pertains to. Normally, I would think that the major version number would track the software, while minor numbers would increment. Thus, for instance, you could have the software set as "version 3.02" and the running footer of the docs might be "version 3.02.02"--and you could simply add the software's complete version in each case "for use with software release 3.02."

I do see the advantage to having some correlation between the two numbers, but when publishing electronically there seems no excuse for using past numbers for the docs when it can be "automagically" updated.

I also believe that software which is of the high price/small volume kind would benefit from having a contract with a Print on Demand publisher in each country of distribution to print docs locally. That way, the docs could be done with the latest iteration as of the time the software is purchased, should there be a perceived need for printed docs. Customs and other matters are simplified--and there is a mechanism already in place for customers to get additional copies of the docs they might desire quickly and at reasonable cost.

David

-----Original Message from <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>-----

General practice, in my experience, is that the
document version (which I guess should properly
be called an edition) is identical to the product
version.

General experience, in my practice, is that this
drives me up the wall. Several times the original
documentation has been an unsatisfactory rush job,
and later I've prepared some important corrections
and improvements, and I'm told that they can't be
released because they need to wait for a new product
version to accompany. "We don't have a procedure
for releasing new documentation without a new product
version." "So consider that the new documentation is
itself the revision to the product." Blank stares.

This is from back in the days of paper and magnetic
media. I have no idea whether broadband has made
the industry more flexible. But I always tried to
keep the edition numbers of the documentation at
least a little independent from the version numbers
of the product, in hopes of enabling a separate
documentation upgrade.

In fairness to the other side, as it were, the
company would find itself sending out a new
product version with documentation from one or
two versions back, simply because the documentation
was still accurate and reprinting it with a new
number would cost money. I suppose electronization
has largely eliminated that problem...

Mark L. Levinson
hoary in Herzliya, Israel
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com