re Document Versions

Subject: re Document Versions
From: "nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 04:53:11 -0500

General practice, in my experience, is that the
document version (which I guess should properly
be called an edition) is identical to the product
version.

General experience, in my practice, is that this
drives me up the wall. Several times the original
documentation has been an unsatisfactory rush job,
and later I've prepared some important corrections
and improvements, and I'm told that they can't be
released because they need to wait for a new product
version to accompany. "We don't have a procedure
for releasing new documentation without a new product
version." "So consider that the new documentation is
itself the revision to the product." Blank stares.

This is from back in the days of paper and magnetic
media. I have no idea whether broadband has made
the industry more flexible. But I always tried to
keep the edition numbers of the documentation at
least a little independent from the version numbers
of the product, in hopes of enabling a separate
documentation upgrade.

In fairness to the other side, as it were, the
company would find itself sending out a new
product version with documentation from one or
two versions back, simply because the documentation
was still accurate and reprinting it with a new
number would cost money. I suppose electronization
has largely eliminated that problem...

Mark L. Levinson
hoary in Herzliya, Israel
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il

http://mail2web.com/ .

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com