Re: re Document Versions

Subject: Re: re Document Versions
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 08:02:49 -0500

nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il wrote:

General practice, in my experience, is that the document version (which I guess should properly
be called an edition) is identical to the product
version.

Good plan for user doc (as opposed to development doc, which can get hairy in a regulated environment and needs a little more complexity in the numbering system, generally).

General experience, in my practice, is that this
drives me up the wall. Several times the original
documentation has been an unsatisfactory rush job, and later I've prepared some important corrections
and improvements, and I'm told that they can't be released because they need to wait for a new product
version to accompany. "We don't have a procedure
for releasing new documentation without a new product
version." "So consider that the new documentation is
itself the revision to the product." Blank stares.

Keep the version number. Change the release date. Or give it a "Service Pack"-type of number. Or give it a part number that keys back to a database somewhere. There are all sorts of places you can conceal such a number that helps you and the customer support staff know what version of the doc the user has at hand when on the phone with support, without changing the big bold version number on a physical or virtual page 1, which properly keys to the software release.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com