Re: WORD 2002

Subject: Re: WORD 2002
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:37:32 -0500

k k writes:

Here's something that I've found using Word 2002 for
close to a year now: it does weird and unnatural
things to headers and footers.

The problems you describe predate Word 2002. I had the same problems with Word 6. I believe the problems occur when you start creating headers and footers from the middle of a document. What I mean is, if you have a document that starts with a cover page, you don't want the cover page to have a header and footer so you will probably start creating them on the first page that requires one. The result will be that a header and footer appear on the cover page even though you don't want them there. Even if you turn off "Same as Previous" you will still get unexpected results. Always start creating the headers and footers on the first page of the doc, even if you create them to be blank. Use section breaks and turn off "same as previous" when you create the header and footer for each new section. (Sorry, if I am describing what you already know.) Do not create any headers and footers until you have completed the whole doc and have created all your section breaks. If you later add a new chapter to your doc, remind yourself of how you created the headers and footers in the previous sections before you create the new ones. After creating them, you might have to recreate all the ones that follow.
I'm not sure what causes the problem with the PDF conversion, but I suspect it might be caused by the PDF Writer thing. Rather than using that, you could try converting the Word file into a postscript file first. Then convert the ps file to pdf.
You might want to get a copy of "Word 97 Annoyances" by Woody Leonhard, Lee Hudspeth, & T.J. Lee (O'Reilly Press). It's an excellent book that applies to all versions of Word. Or, as k k said, you might prefer to throw Word away and start using Framemaker! Definitely the best suggestion.
If you work in a company that will balk at the price of Framemaker, you can present your boss with a cost-benefit analysis. You can say something like "Because of Word's wonkiness, I need three full days just to print this @#$%! document so that all the headers and footers are correct. Three days multiplied by my hourly rate mulitiplied by the number of times I have to go through this misery costs you x dollars. Framemaker causes no such problems. When I send something to the printer it comes back five minutes later looking exactly as I expect it to look. As you can see, Framemaker is much cheaper."
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com