Re: Flowchart direction

Subject: Re: Flowchart direction
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:03:17 -0500

Goldstein, Dan wrote:

I found the following on the SmartDraw site: "Keep the direction of flow
consistent. Avoid confusion by keeping your flow lines moving from top to
bottom and left to right.

I wonder if the Hebrew and Arabic versions of their software provide the same advice.

Dan, I think this is a common sense issue. If the diagram is less cumbersome by being broken into a couple of rows with a long arrow going from the right end of the top row out, down, left, down, and right to the beginning of the bottom row, does that constitute reversing direction? Of course not. If the flowchart represents a feedback process, does it hurt to arrange it in a circle? I don't think so.

What matters is that the chart uses standard symbols and the flow is clear and understandable to the reader. Experience and judgment count for more than authority, in other words.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com