Flowchart direction

Subject: Flowchart direction
From: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:52:31 -0500

I am trying to convince someone of the importance of flowchart direction. I
have some good arguments but I need a little "official" backup.

I found the following on the SmartDraw site: "Keep the direction of flow
consistent. Avoid confusion by keeping your flow lines moving from top to
bottom and left to right. Don't reverse the direction in the chart unless
the flow reverses itself in reality."

I also Googled and found various other sites that refer to flowchart
direction, but none of them have an organizational cachet like the IEEE,
etc. "Standards" are obviously an illusion, but I would love to have as
authoritative-sounding a reference as possible. Does anyone have any input?

Thanks,

Dan Goldstein

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com