Interesting infrastructure items

Subject: Interesting infrastructure items
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 16:14:48 -0500

Folks,

A couple of tools have come to my attention that may be useful if your company has a few dollars to spend. These are more on the marcom side than the techcom side, but you may have applications for them, especially in training.

The first is Brainshark (www.brainshark.com, unsurprisingly). The general idea is that you create a PowerPoint presentation and upload it to their server, whereupon it is converted to compressed flat graphics. Then you pick up the telephone, dial in, and record a narration for each slide. There are all sorts of slick controls so you can reorder, delete, rerecord, merge presentations, etc.; find out who views your presentation; sort stuff into folders; and some other things.

We adopted this recently, and some of the benefits that are already obvious include:

• Much tighter PowerPoint work among the hoi polloi. Because of the size of the playback window, you really can't have small fonts and wordy slides. You can't use PowerPoint animation effects at all, and you have to concentrate on keeping the message simple, short, and focused. A lot of PowerPoint abuse is effectively eliminated.

• Usefulness as a training medium. Because you can move slides around, you can create a custom training presentation for different audiences. This does not replace classroom training--or even live online training. But if you are rolling out a software enhancement and really just need to do a show and tell, this is a cheap way to do it. You know which customers have viewed it and which individuals at each customer; you can send it only to the customers who are using the module you're talking about; and the voice narration makes it a richer medium than just sending a PDF.

Because it is positioned as a sales and marketing tool, you might want to approach the purchase decision by getting some S&M types hooked (read that any way you want) and then just kinda weasel your department in on their coattails. That might be the easiest way to get it approved.

The other product is Presentation Librarian (www.accent-technologies.com). This is a content management system that comes in various flavors, but we're looking at their ASP model (where you pay per seat per month on their hosted system rather than buying the system and installing it on your own server).

The idea is that you can organize presentations, PDFs, and Word documents, attach metadata to them for searching and sorting, manage versions and permissions, etc. We have not made the decision to get this yet, and I'd be interested in feedback from anyone who has experience with it or who rejected it in favor of something better.

I don't know how well it handles other file types. For the ones listed, you get thumbnails at the page or slide level, making it easier to pick the pieces you want to assemble. (For PowerPoints, by way of example, you can select individual slides from multiple presentations, arrange them in a sequence, and download an assembled composite presentation--great for sales folks.) But I haven't dug into whether you can upload, for instance, FrameMaker documents, HTML pages, etc.

I'm interested in this because we have a rather haphazard system now, and the lack of metadata to assist in searches is becoming a burden. Again, this sort of thing may or may not be appropriate in your organization, so I'm just soliciting opinions from people who've brushed up against this particular product.

Thanks,

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com