Re: can you think of an example of 'click on' used in a grammatically incorrect way?

Subject: Re: can you think of an example of 'click on' used in a grammatically incorrect way?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 19:32:59 -0500

> > > Bonnie Granat wrote:
> > >
> > Not if you understand the meaning of the word "click" in a GUI
> > context. It has a specialized meaning that includes the concept of
> > "on," because you cannot "click" at all unless you ARE "on."
> >
> > That is, how do you click in a GUI context and accomplish anything
> > without being ON the object.
> >

> That's a bit of a stretch, at least to me...You can click anywhere
on the
> screen, constantly and forever, regardless of whether you're
accomplishing
> anything at all.

That's the point. For "click" to make any sense whatsoever to a user,
one needs to be over something. So "Click _OK_" is clear to many
people who can see a "thing" with "OK" written on it.

> We use "click on" in the manuals where I work...we use it as as
shorthand
> for "click the left mouse button while your pointer is covering the
> specified object on the screen to accomplish this task." In this
context,
> "Click on" is perfectly acceptable.

But they can't "click" unless they ARE on. (Btw, for those of you who
have QuoteFix, which I recently downloaded (free program), you'll see
all the asterisks and underlining and whatnot as real,
honest-to-goodness formatting, even though you may be reading plain
text. It also changes smilies into yellow graphics. I wonder if it
will make this glyph into a tongue-out face or not: ; p

> As far as I'm concerned, neither usage bothers me. If I had my
druthers, I'd
> simplify to just "click," but I adapt to the place where I work.
Just
> choose one and use it consistently.

Yup. Maybe "never" was too strong a word, after all.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.granatedit.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com