Re: can you think of an example of 'click on' used in a grammatically incorrect way?

Subject: Re: can you think of an example of 'click on' used in a grammatically incorrect way?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 19:27:06 -0500

From: <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>

> Bonnie Granat wrote:
> > "Click" has no meaning in a GUI context unless its meaning is
> > "get ON the object."
>
> I wrote:
> > I assume you mean "click [not 'get'] ON the object," and I say
it's
> > entirely a matter of interpretation.
>
> Bonnie wrote:
> > Not if you understand the meaning of the word "click" in a GUI
> > context. It has a specialized meaning that includes the concept of
> > "on," because you cannot "click" at all unless you ARE "on."
>
> I disagree, but to show what a "big tent" kinda guy I am, I say it's
> question of preference.

"Big tent" folks don't burp horsefeathers. ; )

> Bonnie went on:
> >
> > That is, how do you click in a GUI context and accomplish anything
> > without being ON the object.
>
> I had already answered that question in my next sentence:
> > When I "click" in a GUI context, I'm clicking the left mouse
button,
> > not the pattern of pixels on the screen. I "click on" GUI
objects.

Yes, that's what "click" means in an GUI context, because otherwise
the word is meaningless.

> Bonnie Granat wrote:
> > Well, of course you're not clicking pixels. You're clicking the
thing
> > that is under your mouse pointer
>
> Then why not say "click the object under your pointer"?
>
> By the way, it's not a "mouse pointer," it's just a "pointer";
otherwise,
> you're excluding people who use trackballs and touch pads.

You're right. Give the man two days off. ; )

> By the Way II, Return of the Snappy Comeback: It *is* just pixels.
The
> thing under your mouse pointer is a thin layer of chemicals--there's
no
> button there. (Run your finger over it--you'll see what I mean.)

Aw, shucks, David, now you've really gone and done it, haven't you?

> In answer to my statement:
> > I actually prefer the older "select" and "choose" model, but
that's
> > fallen out of style, which kind of proves my point.
>
> Bonnie wrote:
> > They are used to mean other things now; they haven't fallen out of
> > style.
>
> As another respondent noted, Microsoft currently recommends "click
OK."
> They used to recommend "Choose OK." They changed their minds.
That's what
> I meant when I said that "click" has fallen out of style (in the
context of
> what you do to indicate your wishes when presented with a pattern of
bits
> arranged to resemble a physical button).

I see what you mean.

> I also wrote:
> > Of course, I'll write it any old way the client requires: "Click
OK,"
> > "Click the OK button," "Click on the OK button," ...
>
> and Bonnie wrote:
> > Clients in general don't know what's most effective; I consider it
my
> > job to make recommendations based on current practice.
>
> Sure, but I'll write it any way they require.
>
> I'm just a consultant--they actually sign they checks.

You're a catalyst for clarity and excellence; you are *not* JUST
anything, and don't let me hear you say that again.

Bonnie

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com