Documenting unix utilites

Subject: Documenting unix utilites
From: smithelizabeth -at- hotmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:47:05 -0700

Hi everyone,

I am a bit lost, and would like some advice concerning my next project.

I am new to unix and have been asked to document custom unix utilities for
our system administrators. Does anyone have any info for documenting
custom unix utilities or where I could go for ideas or a place to start?
The administative tools for the application I support is basically unix
custom utilites, each with separate functions. Some administrative tasks
involve going into more than one utility to perform a task, so I'd like to
document it by utility. (Good idea?)

There are five separate custom unix utilties, which can be called from
either the graphical user interface or the command line.

- A tool used to create, update, and maintain information common to all
telephone numbers in the customer database.

- A tool used to create and modify uid files and update param files.

- A tool used to change, modify, or print feature information on customer
stations.

- A tool used to create, modify, or verify a customer's extension ranges.

- A tool used to create, update, and maintain information common to all
customers in the office. It specifies the parameters of an office.

Any advice/guidance is welcome. Thanks!

Beth

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com