Re: OT - Lost access to secure (HTTPS) sites on Win98 OS

Subject: Re: OT - Lost access to secure (HTTPS) sites on Win98 OS
From: holmegm -at- comcast -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 14:17:38 +0000

Karen Black wrote:

>I lost access to any secure sites (that start with HTTPS) including my
>web access work e-mail, online banking, and even Hotmail. I might need
>to work from home tomorrow, starting at 5 am, and I'm getting frustrated.

That is frustrating!

>I've searched the Web, and the consensus from experts is generally
>"Woohoo -- you've got problems!" The Microsoft advice pages just scare
>me, especially after my failed efforts last weekend.

Well, er, you've got problems. Without details of what error messages you
recieve, it may be hard to tell.

Two things come to mind about secure sites.

1) https operates over a different TCP/IP port number than http. So a
firewall (on your machine or for your company), gateway, *something* may
be willing to relay port 80 packets (normal http) for you, but not port
443. I'd sniff down this trail, if I were you.

2) Your browser tries to verify the authenticity of security certificates
for secure sites, to assure you that the site is who it claims to be. So
something might be wrong on that end of things. But if your browser is up
to date and ALL secure sites are failing on you, that doesn't seem likely.

Hope this helps a bit,

--
Greg Holmes

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com