Re: How do I respond to this engineer.....??

Subject: Re: How do I respond to this engineer.....??
From: Clayton Cornell <clayton -dot- cornell -at- redwood -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:57:42 +0100

henri -dot- kroeze -at- dcstrans -dot- nl wrote:

This is such an interesting discussion, because I'm into exact the same situation at my work.... Tons of documentation and no one seems to be able to find something or can tell the status of a particular document.

I'm very intersted in the opinions and suggestions!!!

The phrase "off the shelf software" may be filled in a little more for me, because there is so much out there...

Henri Kroeze
DCS Transport & Logistics Solutions
the Netherlands.

Something simple like CVS works well in a cross platform environment (Windows, Linux/Unix, MAC etc). I use CVS where I'm working now. I can pull up any document or bit of source code the developers have checked into CVS, and they can do the same for any XML doc I've checked in (all the documentation I do is in XML).

You can use CVS to check documents out, and back in again. CVS version controls the files in it's control. You can add comments to checked in documents. You can set sticky bits on docs that are checked out. You can update your local copy of a CVS module with the latest docs that have been checked in by others. You can compare a local doc with the one checked into CVS. If someone has checked in a copy of the same doc you are working on, you can merge the docs etc. etc. It really works well with things like source code, XML and HTML docs... things in raw text format. With binary files you can use external programs to compare adn find differences (a bit difficult though)... all CVS can do is identify that the binaries are different.

CVS while not elaborate, is simple and easy for the end user to use. And best of all (in my opinion) it's Open Source. There are GPL GUIs available for Windows (WinCVS), Linux, Mac (MacCVS) and so on. A CVS server is available under GPL for Windows... or Unix has it available in multiple forms/flavors. Makes for a very versatile and inexpensive tool to implement.

Groeten,
C.

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or download a trial at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l4

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com