RE: Adobe adds product activation

Subject: RE: Adobe adds product activation
From: "Anita Legsdin" <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:00:26 -0700

Many organizations' decisions are affected by their customers. I have worked in many places where Word was the official tool because customers demanded documents in Word format, and file sharing was central to the business.

OTOH, these days, it's more common to find good conversion tools; FrameMaker saves in rtf format, which is readable by Word. (Formatting, however, is a different matter.)

As an individual, I agree I have the choice whether or not to work for a company that forces me to use Word. I only need to weigh my personal preferences against potential income. The company, however, has more factors to consider when making its decision. Budget is another consideration: certain small companies cannot afford to make the change from one documentation tool to another one, even if we can prove that the other, new, tool would be far superior.

In some cases, when a small company has a big customer, it might be told what decisions to make, or risk losing the big customer. There again, it's a choice, albeit more like a Hobson's choice.

Anita