Re: Adobe adds product activation

Subject: Re: Adobe adds product activation
From: John Fleming <johntwrl -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:49:05 -0600

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:52:28 -0400, while chained to a desk in
the scriptorium, bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info ("Bonnie Granat")
wrote:

> $I cannot figure out why messages are not quotable....I gotta find that little
> $program I heard about.... anyway, back to the topic. I use Word 97 in my work,
> $but at only $109 to upgrade to Word 2003, I am tempted. But, and this is the
> $reason I won't be doing so, I can find nothing on Microsoft's site that tells
> $me what I'd find improved from Word 97 to 2003. I have heard only negative
> $things about the changes in Track Changes, but I don't know if other
> $improvements in how Word works might outweigh the Track Changes changes. <heh>
> $
> $I'm not motivated to dig for comparisons, but if anyone here knows of any
> $reason someone would want 2003 over 97, I'm all ears.

Bonnie,

I jumped to Office XP from Office 2000, and with Word I didn't
see a lot of difference.

Office XP running on Windows XP does have some voice recognition
support, though for stuff like that I do prefer Dragon Naturally
Speaking.

The dictionary has a more extensive selection of varieties of
English than earlier versions.

I think it may have better support for foreign languages,
particularly Asian languages like Japanese and Chinese.

Otherwise, I didn't see much new.

Fop me, the primary benefit has been the availability of a
Canadian English dictionary.

John Fleming
Technical Writer
Edmonton, Alberta