Re: Adobe adds product activation

Subject: Re: Adobe adds product activation
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:43:14 -0400

Andrew Plato wrote:
> Companies like Adobe, Microsoft, IBM, etc. don't make strategic moves
without
> analyzing the impact. Since MS has been using online activation for a few
years
> now, there is data on how many users really abandon these products.

The data isn't in yet for consumers. I think most home users bought
pre-installed setups and have not yet experienced the joys of activation.
When they do, I think the complaints and the backlash will start rolling in,
probably also aggravated by the new DRM schemes which will be hitting the
market at the same time.

And corporate users never had to worry about activation. So the only people
who have to deal with activation are SOHO users and geeks who are always
tinkering with their setup. These are the customers MS isn't worried about
annoying.

Activation isn't about piracy; it's about forced upgrades. No doubt there
will come a time when home users buy a new PC and try to activate their old
copy of SomethingXP, only to be told that activation codes are no longer
available for that product.

MS and Adobe are selling mature applications. They have run out of new
compelling features to add, so the only way they can keep you on the upgrade
cycle is to forcibly expire their old products.

Mike O.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com