Re: Adobe adds product activation

Subject: Re: Adobe adds product activation
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:58:11 -0700

Mike O. wrote:

So far FM is not affected, according to this:
http://www.adobe.com/activation/main.html

I can't say I'm surprised. After Microsoft, Adobe is probably the largest company whose business is software-centered. Possibly, IBM actually sells more software, but software isn't at the core of its business, the way that it is for Adobe or Microsoft. Between pirates on the one side, and the increasing reluctance to upgrade and free software on the other, software-centered companies must be feeling beleaguered. Admittedly, the free software threat is still more hypothetical than real, but with all the growing adaptation of free software in Europe and the developing world, it's much less hypothetical with each passing year. And, the trouble is, companies like Adobe or Microsoft can't retool as easily as IBM can, because they're more focused on the single area.

As a user, I'm glad that almost all the productivity software I need is now available as free software. In fact, aside from upgrading my version of Framemaker last year, I haven't bought new proprietary software for business for three years now. The older versions I have work well enough for the odd occasion when I need them, and they don't require activation. I would be leaning to free software anyway, but product activation is one more reason to do so.

I don't use pirated software - ever - so I have nothing to fear from product activation, but I consider it an insult and an inconvenience. If there are many other people like me, then product activation may have the opposite effect than what's intended: instead of preserving sales, it may actuallycause sales to decline even more sharply.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Bright morning star a-rising,
New day's a-breaking in my soul."
- American Traditional

HAVE YOU SEEN THE LATEST FRAMEMAKER PUBLISHING TOOL?

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com