Re: Adobe adds product activation

Subject: Re: Adobe adds product activation
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:39:54 -0700

Mike O. wrote:

It seems the only thing they could add at this point is to make it a better
validating XML editor, which would make it more competitive with
Epic/Arbortext. The open-source world still doesn't have a good WYSIWYG XML
editor, as far as I know.

I upgraded to FrameMaker 7.0 primarily for its XML functionality, but, to be honest, that was a bit of a disappointment, and I've never used it much.

In open source software, conglomerate looks promising, although it hadn't reached version 1.0 last time I checked. Also, OpenOffice.org 1.1 has an XML Filter Setting tool that allows you to set up XML import and export filters to Simplified DocBook, XHTML, and Microsoft 200 XML, as well as adding your own formats. However, I haven't had time to do more than note the feature, so I can't tell you much about it, except to note that, since OOo's native format is XML, it should be easy to fine-tune output if you're willing to put in the effort.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Bright morning star a-rising,
New day's a-breaking in my soul."
- American Traditional

HAVE YOU SEEN THE LATEST FRAMEMAKER PUBLISHING TOOL?

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com