Fwd: Re: Freelance business practices questions

Subject: Fwd: Re: Freelance business practices questions
From: "Lisa A. Roth" <roth -dot- lisa -at- jimmy -dot- harvard -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:54:14 -0400

I am not sure that I believe that about e-signatures, either. Although I am not thoroughly aware of all of the finer points of the regulation, I know, for example, FDA has set forth criteria for the use of e-signatures. Assuming their criteria are met, FDA will accept e-signatures (perhaps with limitations -- I'm not sure).

A cursory look around Google brings up the following links:

http://www.techlawjournal.com/internet/20000703.htm (relates to Clinton signing an e-signature bill into law in 2000)

http://www.nsf.gov/home/grants/grants_sign.htm (provides the National Science Foundation's criteria for accepting e-sigs)

http://www.archives.gov/records_management/policy_and_guidance/electronic_signature_technology.html (Government Paperwork Elimination Act -- This provides ground rules for the use of e-signatures in government. I didn't look too closely, but the date tell me that this might be the same law referred to in the first link.)

I wish I could help with the other issues that Bonnie raised, but I am not an experienced freelancer. One thing, however, is that I have lived abroad and transferred funds internationally. In that case, a simple bank transfer did the trick. Perhaps you could go that route. Although you have probably got your bases covered tax-wise, do be sure to find out what you need to do in order to avoid getting hit with a big tax bill in April, as you naturally won't be having any advance payroll deductions taken from you. (I realize that's probably a given for freelancers; not being one myself, I figured I'd mention it anyway.)

--Lisa

At 12:14 PM 10/16/2003, Michele Davis wrote:

Hello, I am also especially curious about the digital signature issue. I have a digital signature from someone and one of the grievance officers at the NWU, who is an attorney, said that electronic signatures aren't binding, but I'm not sure if I believe that....

Michele

Bonnie Granat wrote:

I have a couple of questions:

- Are digital signatures feasible for small businesses to obtain these days,
or should I just forget about it, and go down to Kinko's?

HAVE YOU SEEN THE LATEST FRAMEMAKER PUBLISHING TOOL?

lets you easily single-source content to online Help, intranet, and Web. The interface is designed for FrameMaker users, so there is little or no
learning curve and no macro language required! Call 800-718-4407 for competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com