Advice re: RoboHelp/RoboDemo maint. packs

Subject: Advice re: RoboHelp/RoboDemo maint. packs
From: "Lisa A. Roth" <roth -dot- lisa -at- jimmy -dot- harvard -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:05:35 -0400

Hello there,

I am currently helping my company to evaluate our needs before (hopefully) purchasing RoboHelp and RoboDemo. To help me with this, I was hoping to hear a few opinions from the trenches. I am interested in hearing from anyone and everyone, but the opinions of people at small businesses are especially welcome.

We are a small business, and I am currently trying to decide whether or not I should recommend purchasing a maintenance plan for RoboHelp and RoboDemo. If yes, then I am also wondering whether we should buy one of the bronze (i.e., low-level) maintenance plans and funnel technical support issues through one user, or whether we should get a maintenance plan for each of the three users.

Herein lies the dilemma:

* Do you feel that your investment in the maintenance plan was worthwhile? How do you use it most of the time?

* Given the availability of such excellent peer-based support such as TECHWR-L and similar groups, do you find that your primary reason
for purchasing the maintenance plan is less for technical support and more for the access to upgrades?

* On the average, how often do you receive these upgrades? Is the frequency enough to result in any substantial
savings vs. buying the upgrades as you need them? (We may find that we don't need to be "riding the crest" of
every new version. At least in the beginning, our use of the application would most likely NOT take advantage
of some of the higher-end possibilities.)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! Much appreciated...

Lisa A. Roth

ECOG
900 Commonwealth Ave
Boston, MA 02215