RE: thoughts on multiple help systems

Subject: RE: thoughts on multiple help systems
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 07:52:01 -0700 (PDT)

-----------------------------
Victoria Nuttle
I was just wondering what the current thoughts are on having multiple
help systems for a single application. Good? Bad? Runaway train?

We are currently doing this sort of setup for a .NET application. We have context-sensitive help that we write in the metadata, we then have a web-based help system that covers the conceptual and procedural information. Users can access form-level help from a help button on each web form, and they can get their field-level help from the context-sensitive help.

You mentioned two help systems. I don't understand why you would have to do that. Depending on the tool you're using, you could simply create a single help system, and use build tags, map files, and other hocus pocus for the context-sensitive help. But I suppose this also depends on the kind of application you are writing for.

Anyway, your plan sounds fine to me seeing how we're doing essentially the same thing.

"This is either madness or brilliant."
"It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide." -- Will Turner & Captain Jack Sparrow
Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com