Re: Outsourcing Jobs to India

Subject: Re: Outsourcing Jobs to India
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: me -at- other-space -dot- com, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:43:55 -0400

At 07:41 AM -0600 2003-09-04, me -at- other-space -dot- com wrote:

I see a lot of worried debate over whether tech writing jobs will be
outsourced to India. In my opinion, a more fruitful line of debate would
be: Let's assume that a large number of technical writing jobs will be
outsourced to India (or other places). What kind of technical writing
will be easily outsourced, and what won't? More importantly, how could we
respond to this change?
-
Brent P. Newhall

Excellent question, and far more likely than the usual whines to elicit productive discussion.

My own opinion?

Anything involving low-level operating procedures can be outsourced easily. Even the most esoteric technology can have its basic tasks reduced to cook-book steps for entry-level workers. Advanced/admin procedures for complex hardware and software are a bit safer for the moment, at least until the technology in question becomes mainstream.

The least likely work to be outsourced soon, IMO? Regulatory documentation, especially FDA, DOD/military, and anything directly involving corporate/government agency/national security.
--
K@ Kat Nagel