Re: India

Subject: Re: India
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techpubs -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Sean Brierley" <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:57:56 -0700

This, of course, assumes that you still have a job to fund
your purchases. The problem with "offshoring" of existing
jobs is that it also offshores customers, and workers paid
lower foreign wages won't be placing orders for higher
cost US-made products anytime soon. Moving growth
offshore can be a good thing, particularly if done to
localize production of products intended for sale where
they're being made, but when companies export their
existing jobs, they're also exporting each others' customers.
The employees laid off by Intel and IBM when jobs moved
overseas were the customers of Ford and Amana, who were
in turn the customers of Intel and IBM and, well, you can
see where this is heading. Ultimately, "offshoring" will
self-limit, because the decline in domestic economy results
in the elimination of jobs everywhere, and unlike the buggy
whip example, where the jobs disappeared because the old
technology was superceded by a new one that produced new
jobs for workers to reinvent themselves for, moving jobs
overseas does not, it merely produces a maddening scramble
among the displaced workers for whatever's left that reduces
manufacturer's costs domestically and reduces the need for
"offshoring." What to do? Well, if you've recently put off the
purchase of a car, house or other large-ticket item because you
were worried about your prospects for continued employment,
you've already done it.

Gene Kim-Eng