RE: technical writer degree programs

Subject: RE: technical writer degree programs
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techpubs -at- genek -dot- com>
To: j -dot- henning -at- comcast -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: 03 Sep 2003 17:29:30 GMT

It's probably more a reflection of my own professional
experience than anything else, but in my positions as
a publications manager, I never placed much value on a
degree in English or Journalism or in a technical writing
certificate unless it was accompanied by either a long
professional experience as a technical writer (5 years or
more) or a technical education. If your resume were to
land on my desk, my preference would be for a BS in some
form of engineering, computer science or engineering
technology. Experience aside, I'd probably rank a
candidate with an AS in a technical field + a tech
writing certificate over one with a BA in a nontechnical
field.

Gene Kim-Eng