Re: India - Wave of the Future?

Subject: Re: India - Wave of the Future?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "Brautigam, Curtis" <cubrautiga -at- state -dot- pa -dot- us>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 07:53:03 -0400

Brautigam, Curtis wrote:

Since there are people on this list who are willing to raise the topic of
offshoring,

You heard it here first, folks. Offshore is now a verb. It can be dropped into any sentence where you might previously have used downsize: "I wasn't fired; I was offshored," for example.

Curtis's observations, and those of others, are right. There are long-term positive economic trends that have painful short-term consequences. This was true when buggy whip manufacturers were going out of business. It was true when the innovations in materials science led to the collapse of the US steel industry. It was true when new ways of thinking about health care led to a radical restructuring of physician incomes (okay, pain is relative, right?).

High-tech workers are no different. We think we have a RIGHT to keep doing what we do, because we're CRAFTSPEOPLE, dammit! Don't those bosses know we can't be replaced!?! And we're on the cutting edge of technology; our skills CAN'T be obsolete. Well, folks, tell it to the steelworkers.

It's natural law. Adapt or die.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]