Re: India - Wave of the Future?

Subject: Re: India - Wave of the Future?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN" <christine -dot- a -dot- anameier -at- usps -dot- gov>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:23:55 -0400

Anameier, Christine A - Eagan, MN wrote:

Dick, whom I *usually* agree with, wrote:

There are long-term positive economic trends that have
painful short-term consequences. . . . High-tech workers
are no different.

I'm not convinced "offshoring" is a positive economic trend.

Christine,

I'm not convinced offshoring is a positive economic trend, either; and I didn't mean to imply that. I think that it is, instead, one of the painful short-term consequences. The positive trend I was referring to was the revolution is communications technology that provides the infrastructure to make globalization possible.

Look, people have been preaching Small Planet for close to forty years. In the 1960s Gunnar Myrdal observed that population growth abates with industrialization, because industrialization enables the establishment of a social security system and thereby obviates the need for large numbers of children (I'm omitting a few steps in his argument for brevity). When multinationals build power plants and factories in developing countries, they are advancing the world toward a time of less poverty, pestilence, war, and famine, even if their motivation is nothing more than getting the most production for the least money. And the world will be better for ALL of us when there is less poverty, pestilence, war, and famine, doncha think?

But, yes, there is pain in displacement. And, no, I'm not feeling it myself at the moment, knock wood. And, no, I don't have a great solution for the people who are feeling it. I'm just saying look at the big picture.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]