RE: Potential Client/Need Advise

Subject: RE: Potential Client/Need Advise
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:02:49 -0600

Michele -

I think it's important to keep in mind that people outside the TW
"profession" (and I use the term loosely) have virtually no idea what it is
that we do. I've had these conversations - many times. Sometimes the people
end up being great to work with, other times not.

Without knowing anything more about your potential client than the
conversation you recounted, I'd say that it sounded to me like she was
trying to understand what you do in the context of what she already knew (or
thought she knew) about writers - you know, that "generic" stuff that ends
up in movies and magazines.

It's really a question of (a) does she know what she wants you to do, (b)
can you do it, (c) do you want to do it, and (d) is she willing to pay your
rate/are you willing to accept what she's willing to pay for it.

But first, go with someone's earlier suggestion: breathe.

best,