RE: The Results (Long)

Subject: RE: The Results (Long)
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:32:19 -0600

Tamara -

While I appreciate your experience (and had plenty of similar nightmares as
a hiring manager), I have to tell you that neither writing courses nor STC
membership are any guarantee of quality candidates. I'm sure you'll get an
earful of pro/con STC membership to your post (or if you care to read what's
been said in the past, scan through the archives).

I had one "technical writing" class on my college transcript (taken to fill
the English credits required for my major), and only joined STC a year or so
ago when I took a job with an employer who was willing to cover the
membership fees. By your current interview criteria, I would have been
ineligible for most of my TW career (15 yrs.), and only marginally qualified
now.

Bottom line: In this market, anyone/everyone who thinks they're a tech
writer will respond to your ad. Unfortuantely, that means you have to sift
through the dregs to find the quality candidates.

best of luck,

Lyn