Re: Conferences in the early 21st Century

Subject: Re: Conferences in the early 21st Century
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:02:12 -0400

Goober Writer wrote:

What's important to you in a conference? Location? Or
knowledge?

I could give 2 toots about the location and the
surrounding attractions. I'm there to learn. Funny
thing, that's the same viewpoint my employer has.

Our first sales guy here (when we were just getting started) had a world map on his wall with a pushpin in every city where he had spent at least one night. Very impressive map. The guy was definitely well traveled. But when I commented on the vast number of interesting cities he'd been to, he told me that essentially the map was a reminder of how little of the world he had actually seen. He pointed out that the inside of a conference room, a hotel room, or an airport concourse is pretty much the same no matter where you are--and that's mostly what those pushpins represented.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]