RE: Conferences in the early 21st Century

Subject: RE: Conferences in the early 21st Century
From: "Nancy Kaminski" <nancy -dot- kaminski -at- spanlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:05:16 -0500

> From: Goober Writer [mailto:gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com]

> Call me crazy, but are companies really not batting an
> eye as they OK the travel request for these attendees?
> Or do you pay your own way (if so, OUCH!).

My company won't pay for any training, conferences, or travel. If I want
to attend, they'll okay the vacation days (and will occasionally count
them as work days) but beyond that, you're on your own. Ouch, indeed.

> Or do you try to go to conferences to sight-see?
> Personally, I'm there to learn and shmooze. As long as
> there is at least a diner and a town bar, I'm good for
> food and after-hour entertainment.

I admit to having enjoyed conferences in glam locations, because in the
good ol' days I'd take vacation days after the conference and take
advantage of the company having picked up the cost of the plane ticket.
Alas, those days are over.

> Just my opinion. Am I off-base? Would it make sense to
> hold these in cheaper locations? What do you think?

Personally, I'd like to have Winwriters and FrameUsers in
Minneapolis---then I'd just be out the cost of the conference. We've got
a real nice convention center! <g> Yes, I think having conferences in
less-touristy towns would be a good thing.

The only reason I was able to attend WinWriters a couple of years ago
was that they gave a free admittance to an officer of my STC chapter
(and I was lucky enough to be the only officer able to go); I stayed
with a friend who lives 30 miles out of Seattle; and I had a frequent
flyer plane ticket. My only expense was a rental car, tickets on the
commuter train into town, and a thank-you dinner out with my friend and
her husband. Oh, and I helped feed and muck out her horses, and
bottle-feed the baby bull. <g>

Nancy Kaminski
nancy -dot- kaminski -at- spanlink -dot- com
Two semi-colons