Re: salary.com

Subject: Re: salary.com
From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lne -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:43:57 -0700

At 12:30 PM -0600 8/20/03, cor -at- techwritercor -dot- com wrote:

Does anyone know how current and accurate the salary listings for
technical writers at specific locations throughout the US are on
salary.com? I've had a couple of interviews for entry-level positions and
it seems what I'm being offered is about $15,000 less than the lowest pay
shown on salary.com.

I don't know about tech writers, since I haven't worked a salary
job in a very long time. But I hear from my software engineer
friends in various metro areas of the US that salary.com is
running about 20% high for new job offers.

Note that this isn't necessarily a methodology problem. Salary.com
surveys existing jobs, and current employees are still coasting
on the same (high) salaries they've had for the past few years.
Its rare for a company to force pay cuts on existing employees;
Instead, they squeeze new hires. So the salary.com numbers can be
simultaneously spot on for what is being paid to the average employed
tech writer and way too high for what is being offered to the average
unemployed tech writer.

Laura