BBC Style Guide

Subject: BBC Style Guide
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -at- capulet -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:59:50 -0700

The BBC, in my humble opinion, is unparalleled the world over for
quality broadcasting. So, I was pleased to see that they'd published a
style guide: http://www.bbctraining.co.uk/pdfs/newsStyleGuide.pdf:

'There were scenes of delight in Port Talbot tonight,
as news of the settlement spread.'

This is the apocryphal example handed down
through the generations as a warning against
writing singsong sentences. As you write, you should
appreciate that sentences have balance and rhythm.
The only reliable way to avoid scenes of delight is to
read your script out loud. There is absolutely no
shame in journalists talking to themselves in a radio
or television newsroom.

Cheers. DB.

Darren Barefoot
Capulet Communications