Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances

Subject: Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:37:21 -0700 (PDT)

"Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info> wrote

> Who said anything about not having the skills? Even a quick reading of my
> initial post and subsequent comments will show that I am talking about
> security clearances, not skills.

Its essentially the same problem. Security clearance, like skills, are job
requirements. And the employer has the right to set those requirements to
whatever they want (provided EOE laws aren't broken). There isn't much you can
do about that.

I understand that its frustrating that there are a lot of jobs with tough
requirements, but that doesn't mean those requirements should be relaxed.

While this might have some effect on unemployment, consider it from the
employers perspective. They want the best people possible at the lowest price.
This is an employers' market right now, so it makes sense for them to set the
bar fairly high, since there are plenty of people with security clearance
looking for work.

If you think this is an important "skill" to possess, then look into obtaining
such clearance. Surely there are government jobs available that do not require
such clearance, but will give you the opportunity to obtain such clearance.

Andrew Plato

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com