RE: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances

Subject: RE: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "Guy McDonald" <gmcdonald -at- mcdts -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:17:16 -0700

Guy, you're blowin' smoke again. ;)

I've held a 'Q' clearance and did tech writing for EG&G, a government M&O contractor. The pay was substantially better than the private sector and I lived in a nice suburb of Denver, Colorado. Of course, that was before the Clinton years.

Yes, you have to have a "need to know" so a government agency or one of their contractors has to request your clearance and justify the need. It took about 18 months in my case to upgrade my clearance from DOD SECRET to DOE 'Q'. It requires a more extensive FBI investigation than that required for a TOPSECRET SBI.

People like Bonnie are not excluded from the pool. We are just second-tier candidates since we could not be fully productive for the first 1-2 years of our employment. Believe me, working in a job that requires a clearance while you are uncleared is a huge PITA. I'm sure it is even worse now with the national case of paranoia.

Most of the jobs I have seen on dice.com requiring clearances are for defense contractors in the greater DC area that require SECRET or TOPSECRET clearances. I haven't seen much of anything available in the nuclear weapons complex that requires a 'Q'. If anyone knows of such a position, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

BTW -- since when is Los Alamos, New Mexico, worse than Texas Hell? :)

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.
Las Vegas, Nevada