Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances

Subject: Re: So many jobs want CURRENT security clearances
From: "Marc A. Santacroce" <epubs -at- astound -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:20:06 -0700

I'm equally frustrated about the security clearance issue, especially when I know I would be a great fit, and could use my USAF experience in a number of defense and security related jobs. I too held TS/SCI with special accesses, but company recruiters told me that if it's been more than 15 years they won't even consider me. It may be ageism in disguise, but I think it's lack of resources.

My understanding of the clearance process is that a company must have a requirement , and a billet before an individual can be processed for a clearance. The requirements is in the form of an existing contract requiring a clearance. The billet (requiring a clearance) must be a funded position. I suspect that company's advertise for employees even before they have the requirement and the billet finalized. It's much like résumé gathering pending future positions.

Special access can be just a matter of being briefed in on a program and signing the non-disclosure forms. SECRET used to be a shoo-in, with only a National Agency Check (NAC) being performed to make sure the candidate wasn't a felon; I don't know how long that takes now. TS and SCI took longer, mine took over a year, but I had lived abroad for many years.

I think government investigators are just stretched too thin to conduct timely investigations. The last I discussed with a knowledgeable person, the backlog was two years—that's to start the process. Of course, some people can get emergency access if their skills are needed. I would think the Bush administration would have streamlined this process in the wake of 9/11, (such as soliciting former military an other agency personnel), but then there are a lot of things I think could have been done differently.

Man I feel better now that I've vented,

Marc A. Santacroce
Owner/Senior Technical Writer
ePubs, Inc.