FrameMaker > Help > FrameMaker?

Subject: FrameMaker > Help > FrameMaker?
From: wpsynek -at- datadesignservices -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:52:59 -0600

Hello everyone,

I'm a new subscriber to this list and have been pretty impressed with how
quickly questions/problems posted get answered. Well, here's my first
question, hopefully someone has done this before and can make some
suggestions...

I contract my services to a company and I am their lone Tech Writer. I was
recently told of a short-term project they want me to do that would
involve creating a User Manual for a new software application using
FrameMaker. They want me to use the FrameMaker source to create online
help files using RoboHelp. After I deliver the documentation and help
files, the software group plans on making all minor revisions to the help
files themselves using RoboHelp.

So far so good, but here's where my question comes into play... the
software group's plan is to have me incorporate the accumulated "minor"
changes into the FrameMaker source at periodic intervals as part of a
"major" update.

Is there any way to easily (or not so easily) get these changes from the
help files back into FrameMaker?

At this point I have no clue as to how the changes to the help files
could be tracked so that the FrameMaker source files can be updated
relatively painlessly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Bill Synek