Numbering outline levels in Word?

Subject: Numbering outline levels in Word?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, 'Diane Evans' <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:59:24 -0400

Diane Evans wonders: <<is it possible in Word to have more than nine levels
of outline numbering?>>

Sure. Do the numbering manually. <g> Better still, I imagine you could use
{SEQ} fields to create your own custom numbering scheme to as many levels as
you want. But I doubt the built-in numbering would be easy to extend beyond
its current limits; more to the point, given that you can't count on this
"feature" to work with even a single level of numbering, I can't imagine why
you'd want to try more than one--let alone more than nine. Just the
proofreading alone would drive me completely nuts, let alone trying to fix
the errors.

<<Never mind asking the obvious questions, like "Why would you want to?">>

But unless you're asking the question from purely idle curiosity, or are
being forced by some really odd regulation or RFP requirements to use this
schema for masochists who have learned to use it, it's worth pointing out
that such a system would be cruel and unusual punishment for most readers.
Sometimes the correct answer to a question really is "you shouldn't do
that".

(try ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca if you get no response)
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"It's one thing to see death coming at the hands of your own creation.
That's part of the human epic tradition, after all. Oedipus and his father.
Baron Frankenstein and his monster. William Henry Gates and Windows
'09."--David Brin, _Kiln People_