RE: Screen Capture Software

Subject: RE: Screen Capture Software
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:19:37 -0700 (PDT)

> > Why not capture at 1:1 aspect ratio
>
> I'm assuming that you mean a resolution ratio.

PotAto/PotAHto...

> Most of my captures are done with the basic
> ALT-Print Screen, CTRL-V
> sequence. Pasting directly into Word gives me the
> correct ratio, but
> pasting into Photoshop (for annotation), exporting,
> then importing into Word
> changes the ratio.

Of course. Why would you expect differently? Just set
the image's dpi to whatever you need before
saving/exporting and you're good to go.

> This is predictable enough:
> Windows works at 96 dpi;
> Adobe uses 72 dpi.

That is incorrect. Adobe, as a corporation, does not
settle on one universal dpi, and Photoshop doesn't
care outside the print dpi value you assign the image
when saving. Windows, as an operating system, doesn't
have a set dpi.

> I adjust the size accordingly
> when I import (133%)--it's
> not perfact, but it's very close.

Not sure what you mean by size and percentage. Are you
increasing pixel depth by 1.3x or decreasing? At any
rate, if you are adding or subtracting pixels, then
yes, expect distortion.

> Bear in mind that my deliverables are in PDF, which
> I set to open at 100%.
> Unfortunately, Acrobat doesn't have the nice screen
> rendering for graphics
> that Word does--even Adobe's screen caps suffer from
> the same foibles.

It sure does. It's just *different*. See Sean
Brierley's "Screen Captures 102" paper on this list's
web site for hints on how to optimize for PDF
on-screen output.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

NEED TO PUBLISH FRAMEMAKER CONTENT ONLINE? "Mustang" is a NEW single
sourcing tool for FrameMaker that lets you easily publish your content
online. No macro language required! http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com