Re: Re: ZIP File Manager

Subject: Re: Re: ZIP File Manager
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 14:25:44 -0600

Sue Gallagher wrote:

> It's the Multiple Document Interface (MDI) and it has
> disappeared to make our lives simpler (HA!). I miss it
> too! It's even gone from MS Word, where you used to be able to tile
several documents in the same window and drag n drop
> between 'em. Now you have separate instances of Word,
> Explorer, and all the other MS apps.

Similar in ways, but a different animal. The old File Manager, PowerDesk,
and similar file utilities aren't MDI implementations. The two views aren't
separate objects, "windows in a window" that you can open, close, position,
etc., like MDI windows in applications.

The two-view functionality was missing from Explorer when it first debuted
in Win95, long before MS began scrapping MDI in its Office applications.

IIRC, when Win95 came out, many people complained about this. MS suggested
that they could either (a) get used to using two instances of Explorer or
(b) continue using the old (16-bit) File Manager, which was still included
with the Win95 software.

For all I know, the old File Manager may still be there; I haven't looked. I
went with option (c) -- find a better tool elsewhere. ;-)

BTW, I miss MDI too! I don't know which I hate worse -- in Win98/2k, having
6 tiny little Word buttons on my taskbar; or, in WinXP, having a single Word
button with the number 6 on it that cascades into a menu.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Voyant Technologies, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT voyanttechDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT freeDASHmarketDOTnet
303-777-0436
------

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO
Create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and
demos with all new RoboHelp Studio. More at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com