RE: Portfolios

Subject: RE: Portfolios
From: "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:52:06 -0700

I have always used a portfolio, and used it as "supporting evidence" for my arguments.

Interviewer: "Mr. Goober...have you ever done online help for an asset
management application?"
You: "Yes I have."
Interviewer: "Cool. Can you show me a sample of what you've done?"
You: "No, but let me tell you what I can do for you."
Interviewer: "??"

My answer: Yes, I have. I can't show you a sample because the content is proprietary, but here is the table of contents, which will show you how I laid out the information. This is a sample page, but with proprietary information removed, which is why this function is named "GooberFunction."

I got my first full-time tech writing position because of my portfolio. Not because of what was in it, but because it was so organized that I could quickly turn to any page and pull out an example of what the interviewer (my future manager) was asking about. He later told me that he was very impressed by how organized I was. I didn't have the heart to tell him that after six months of interviewing (and revising the portfolio frequently) I had the whole thing memorized!

Diane Evans
Technical Writer

Washington State Coordinator, Tombstone Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/washing.html

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com