RE: Interviewing "under the hood"?

Subject: RE: Interviewing "under the hood"?
From: "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:17:21 -0700

...I find myself wondering:
is giving out copies of your resume as a .doc file the smartest way to
distribute it? Or is it perhaps wiser to distribute copies of your resume in
.pdf to keep curious interviewers from "peeking under the hood" and
critiquing how well you used or didn't use styles?

Most hiring managers, in my experience, want the resume in a .doc file. I once shared a work area (it was a dot-com that ran out of cubicles) with the hiring manager. He often opened the resume in Word, added comments, and then circulated the resume for additional comments. When he got a resume in .pdf, he would ask me to change it to Word for him. Of course, this generally destroyed the formatting of the original document.

Why hide your formatting abilities, anyway? You are trying to get a job as a technical writer; show the employer what you can do!

Diane Evans
Technical Writer

Washington State Coordinator, Tombstone Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/washing.html

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com