RE: Portfolios

Subject: RE: Portfolios
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 05:34:18 -0700 (PDT)

> Interviewer: "Mr. Goober...have you ever done online
> help for an asset
> management application?"
> You: "Yes I have."
> Interviewer: "Cool. Can you show me a sample of what
> you've done?"
> You: "No, but let me tell you what I can do for
> you."
> Interviewer: "??"

Actually it's more involved than that, John.

Prior to walking into an interview, any candidate
worth their salt does their homework, finds out about
the company, the job, and the requirements. From that,
you should be able to pinpoint exactly what you need
to show and what you need to possibly bring. I
personally prep mentally and if I do bring physical
props, they're just props.

Interviewer: "Mr. Goober...have you ever done online
help for an asset management application?"
Goober: "No, but I have for X, Y, and Z systems. All
were context-sensitive, one was served directly off
the web, and all were single-sourced from a source
that also made its way to print, PDF, and portable
HTML."
Interviewer: "Cool. Can you show me a sample of what
you've done?"
Goober: "Sure. Go to this website and click Help. But,
this really wouldn't fit your needs well. I've been
reading up on your product line and given your
company's last four press releases, it seems you are
more inclined to take another route. Let me talk a bit
more on how I could help you achieve that goal and
plan what I see might be your next steps."

Granted, this doesn't work for everyone, which is why
I size up the company before I walk in. Also, I always
insist on a preliminary phone interview to see if the
interview will even be worth my while.

Yes, you need a job. But crappy economy or not, why
shouldn't you try making it work for you rather than
just trying to grab at a job?

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sbc.yahoo.com

ANNOUNCING ROBOHELP STUDIO

RoboHelp Studio maximizes your Help authoring power by combining
RoboHelp Office and RoboDemo, so you can easily create professional
Help systems that feature interactive tutorials and demos.

Find out more about RoboHelp Studio at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com