Re: Skills matrix

Subject: Re: Skills matrix
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 11:12:38 -0400

Gordon,

Here's the big picture:

I am creating a project plan. The template for my project says I need to have various sorts of documentation as deliverables from certain steps--I need a business case, functional specs, design specs, test specs, user doc, and marketing collateral, for example.

I need resources (people) to create the documents. I can get the right people if I can match the skills required to create the documents with the people who have those skills.

At this point I am looking for success in meeting project needs; I am not looking forward to the day when I have to hold someone accountable for failure. So a skills matrix is not for beating you about the head with a stick.

Basically, I need to know if the team I put together can, among them, understand the technology; write, edit, and produce engineering documents; and write, edit, and produce user documents and marcomm.

So those are the interesting skills:

Engineering docs:
Research and write
Edit
Produce

User docs:
Research and write
Edit
Produce

I would not drill down to the tools level. If someone is identified as having production skills, presumably that token refers to production skills within your company's tools environment.

Dick

Gordon Mclean <gordon -dot- mclean -at- mclarenkvisia -dot- com> wrote:

>I've been asked to contribute to our a company wide skills matrix. Each area
>will have it's own matrix with one being 'general' attributes such as time
>planning, business awareness etc etc. Each 'skill' is broken into two levels
>(or three if required).
>
>So (and this is probably more of a check) what should I put down for
>TechComms?
---
>My main concern is missing something obvious and making a rod for our backs
>later on (not sure how this matrix is going to be used, just that it MUST
>been done... ho hum)

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com